Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The 365 Day Bible Plan

Tammy (my wife) and I have set a goal for ourselves of reading through the entire Bible together in one year. We are using a 365 day chronological Bible and it has been a rewarding experience. We are currently in the book of Numbers and I have always been interested in the Levitical law. I can't imagine having to live under the law like the Israelites were commanded to (praise God there is grace because of Jesus) but at the same time I can't help but feel that we are missing out on a thorough understanding of the character of God by neglecting it. 

Reading through the law is a powerful reminder of God's holiness and His desire for Israel to be separated from the other nation's of the world. It is amazing how many times God says to the Israelites that they must not approach His presence unless certain conditions were met or they will die. This brings home the fact that being in God's presence is nothing to take lightly. 

I think it is helpful to remind ourselves of this because in our culture and in our churches God is often seen as a buddy or best friend. Reading the Pentateuch (the first five books of the Bible) makes you realize pretty quickly that God is not to be trifled with. After reading the law I come away with a greater appreciation of Jesus and His interceding on my behalf.

2 comments: